|Chocolate Cake and Chocolate Icing||
- 2/3 cup Xagave
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup cream, milk or hot water (use cream for more of a milk chocolate flavor)
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry four
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cup xagave
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 cup Expeller Pressed Canola Oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- Mix cream and cocoa with hand mixer or in a blender until smooth and creamy. Add butter and Xagave and mix for another minute or two until smooth. Refrigerate icing while cake is cooking and cooling. Spread icing on cake after cake has cooled.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Combine dry ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients, mixing the hot water in last. Beat with hand mixer for two minutes. Batter will be thin.
- Pour batter into either two 9 inch rounds or one 9×13 inch pan (or you can make cupcakes, filling each about 2/3 full).
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes our clean. Let cool for 30 minutes before icing.
For the icing, we recommend blending the cocoa, cream, butter, and Xagave in a blender until creamy smooth. If you use water or milk in lieu of cream, the icing will be a dark chocolate flavor. Most adults seem to prefer the dark chocolate, but children generally prefer the milk chocolate flavor.